Michael Dunsky

Foxboro, MA 508.245.0705 Text Me

Fire hazards surround us more than you may think and in ways you might overlook. Therefore, we thought we would share some useful tips for items to be mindful that could pose a potential fire hazard in your home. After all, safety matters when it comes to your family and home.

Smoke Detectors

When is the last time you checked your smoke detector batteris? Here is a useful guide for checking that your smoke detector is in good working orer.

Extension Cords

Electrical equipment causes 9 percent of home fires and 10 percent of deaths. Overloaded extension cords can cause short circuits and fixtures can ignite nearby combustibles and burn down your house.


When using the fireplace, keep any flammable materials, such as blankets, curtains and rugs away from the fireplace. You should also have your fireplace swept and inspected for soot buildup. If soot is allowed to build up for too long, it can result in a fire.

Old Wiring

Old wiring in appliances or throughout your home is a safety risk. When wiring dries and becomes brittle, which could fuel a fire.

Electronic Devices

Laptops and cell phones have caused fires in homes in the past. In 2013 a laptop running on a bed for 16 to 18 hours with a recalled battery in a Manassas, Virginia condo contributed to a fire that burned the condo down. It seems the battery played the bigger role in igniting the blankets and comforter than the laptop.

Outdoor Grills

Make sure your grill is not directly underneath any part of the house or touching the siding when grilling. Always be sure to keep the grease trap clean after use. Never store your grill touching the side of your home. There should always be at least 18 inches from your grill to the side of your home.

Dryer Lint

You should always keep your dryer free of lint in both the filter and the dryer tube. In a four-year span there are nearly 25,000 dryer fires, which cause millions of dollars in damage and hundreds of injuries, sometimes fatal. Dryer fires start when built-up lint near the motor, gas burners or heating elements catches on fire.


You should not smoke. If you are a smoker, you should elect to smoke outside. Never dispose of cigarette butts in any grassy, flower bed, trash can. You should saturate your butts in water before disposal. You should never smoke in the garage – as that is where most flammable liquid is stored.

If you have just purchased a home or are thinking about buying a home, be sure to keep this checklist of fire hazards – to keep your investment and family safe.

Michael Dunsky